We’ve been using cloth diapers for two days now (we’re so experts, right?) so I figured I should write down what we like, what works best for us, our experiences, etc etc. Here we go!
Prepped: Hot water with extra rinse + all free and clear (military) + cold wash with extra rinse (no detergent) -> 4-6 times
My diapers were ready after 3 washes but I wanted to make sure we were GOOD. TO. GO.
Night time: Flip cover + Flip organic night time prefold -> Lily goes anywhere from 7-11 hours in this diaper without a wake up and if she does wake up, it is because she’s hungry but we go ahead and change her anyways. We haven’t had a leak yet (mind you, this is only night number 4 with cloth diapering)
Daytime: We prefer covers + prefolds! Pockets are a bit of a hassle and seem a lot bulkier when using prefolds. We’re using both though until we build up a great diaper cover stash (if anyone can point us to some super cute covers, leave a comment PLEASE!)
Inserts: Hands down the winner is Green Mountain Diapers unbleached prefolds. We are currently using the small (yellow) ones and they are perfect for my 13lb baby and her diapers which are on the smallest setting (unless it is the Thirsties covers, she’s on the biggest setting for the size 1 because I’m pretty sure they run smaller than advertised). We’re also using GM hemp doublers which are pretty darn awesome, we just lay them in the prefold then padfold! The SoftBums one size DryTouch pod with newborn insert are pretty nice, they can also snap into the AI2s. We also like the Bumkins contour soakers and Perfect Bum booster s/m.
1. Thoroughly soak a towel and toss it + the diapers + the pail liner into the washer (HE front loader)
2. Speed wash + extra rinse -> cold, high soil, low speed, NO detergent : 57 minutes
3. Fill a kettle halfway with water and set it to boil
4. Once the washer is done, fill the kettle the rest of the way with cold water and pour into onto the towel and diapers IN the washer
5. Whites + extra rinse -> hot, high soil, high speed, detergent filled half way up to the 1 marker: 1hr 54 minutes
6. Speed wash + extra rinse -> cold, high soil, high speed, NO detergent: 57 minutes
7. Tumble dry on medium or hang dry. Stains automatically going into the sun
I am so beyond happy we switched to cloth diapers. They’re not nearly as hard as they seem on the surface and I just adore them.